FILET DE BOEUF EN CROUTE
- 2 nice-sized thick filet filet de boeuf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (optional if you don't like garlic) (optional)
- 2 slices swiss cheese or 2 slices monterey jack cheese, thick
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled out just a little bit
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon horseradish, to your preference
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
1. Trim any fat from the steaks, sprinkle with pepper, spread tops of each with 1 Tbl butter.
2. In shallow roasting pan, bake in pre-heated oven, buttered side up, at 425º for 10 minutes.
3. Place in fridge til cold.
4. Roll out puff pastry a little and cut in half.
5. Spread steaks with garlic, top with cheese.
6. Place cheese side down onto center of pastry squares, fold pastry over, moisten edges and seal well.
7. Place seam-side down onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper
8. Prick top with a fork, cover with plastic wrap, and re-chill for 1 hour.
9. Beat egg with oil, and brush pastry with it.
10. Bake in center of pre-heated 425º oven for 25 minutes for med-rare.
11. Serve with horseradish sauce if desired.
Ready to eat!