French Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 4-5 lbs meaty beef short ribs
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon of flour
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cups red wine, medium-full bodied
- 2-3 cups chicken stock, low or no sodium
- 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup halved kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof pot or large straight-sided skillet oven medium high heat. Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and add them to the pot. Brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the short ribs to a bowl.
3. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the onion and carrots to the pot. Saute until they are soft and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
5. Then increase the heat and deglaze the pan with the brandy. Boil for 30 seconds.
6. Add the wine and 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
7. Add the diced tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves. Return the short ribs to the pot. Add more chicken stock if needed - the liquid level should be just about to the top of the ribs.
8. Cover pot and transfer it to the oven.
9. Braise for 2 1/2 hours; turn the ribs over and stir occasionally while they are braising.
10. Add the olives to the pot, cover, and braise for an additional 30 minutes.
11. Take the pot out of the oven. Transfer the short ribs to a bowl and then skim the surface of the sauce with a large spoon to remove as much fat as possible.
12. If the sauce needs to be thickened, bring it to a boil over high heat and boil for 5-10 minutes.
13. Once the sauce is thick enough, add the ribs back to the pot to warm them through. Remove the bay leaves, stir the parsley, and add salt and pepper as needed.
14. Serve with Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes.
Ready to eat!